Here we go... FUEL for rabid stand up paddlers.
First rule, don't measure anything. Second rule, only use what's in the refrigerator or cupboards.
1. Open can of pineapple slices you found rusting in the back of the cupboard.
2. Pour juice from can into ziplock bag of chunk-cut chicken, add what's left of the orange juice after you use most of it to make a margarita. On second thought, pour a little Grand Marnier, Triple Sec and, what the hell, dump a shot of tequila in there too. And a teaspoon or so of soy saw (local pronunciation).
3. Chop up a shallot and crush a couple of cloves of garlic. Got some red pepper flakes? Dump 'em in.
Photo: Getting so hungry you can't see straight? Me too!
4. Pinch of salt, close the bag and put it in the fridge while you chop up some veggies to go on the skewer. Red bell pepper, good. Green bell pepper, check. Red onion, yes. Carrot, no. Sliced up pineapple chunks from the rusty can? Nice work...now you're getting the idea!
5. Get out your rice cooker (every surfer's got one, don't you?) two scoops of rice (calrose, always calrose), enough water to reach the first knuckle of your pointer finger (that's not measuring... that's how mom taught me to do it, works every time).
6. When you've finished chopping and you've got the rice cooker going, run outside and fire up the grill... charcoal is better but in the rain go with the gas.
Photo: That grill isn't dirty... it's what we call, seasoned.
7. Pull chicken out of the refrigerator, dump marinade down the sink and run some water after it or if you are just an effing party animal pour it into a tumbler over ice and suck it down. Chicken Sushi Margarita - the last thing you drink before you wake up in the hospital septic from o-ring to o-ring. Just kidding! DO NOT drink the salmonella/e.coli cocktail.... eat the worm, do a shot or open a beer bottle with your teeth (don't do that either) instead.
8. Thread it onto the skewers, slap 'em onto the grill and drink a cold one.
9. Server over steamed rice, maybe some steamed broccoli if you're a health nut.
Extra Credit: If you're trying to impress somebody or if you just into it, go to this website and make the peanut sauce. These ¿que?-bobs go excellent with it. This is by far the easiest, best tasting peanut sauce recipe out there- and it takes almost no time to make with ingredients you can find in your local supermarket. This woman is legit... look over her blog if your a Thai food nut like me.
Got a great recipe you want me to write up "Paddle Fuel" style? Send it to me: email@example.com and I'll give it a go.